Thursday, November 26, 2009

Thanksgiving Thoughts

Every year this busy day comes around: Thanksgiving! And in all the busy-ness I find myself forgetting what the day is truly about. To me, this day is not about simply being thankful for what I have: for friends, family, good food, a warm home, etc... Today is a day about being thankful for what I could not live without, and that is only one thing: my God and Savior, Jesus Christ! For the Christian, every day is to be a day of thanksgiving, of praising God for who He is and for His indescribable gift, but today especially I am reminded of how thanksgiving needs to characterize my life.

I've been thinking a lot about God's grace lately, and so this morning, before all the busy-ness, I decided to worship God through one of the greatest hymns ever written, Amazing Grace. The song is such a wonderful display of so many things I have to be thankful for:

  • He's saved a wretch - me!
  • God's grace relieves my fears.
  • His grace brings me safely through the trials of life and His grace will lead me to home in Heaven!

But what really struck me this morning was the last stanza:

When we've been here ten thousand years, bright shining as the sun. We've no less days to sing God's praise than when we've first begun.

I'm not only to be thankful for today, but I can be thankful that I have the hope of eternity praising God! And I want to begin today!


No comments:

Post a Comment