Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Perspectives

This morning I was reading Psalm 102. It starts out, "Hear my prayer, O LORD; let my cry come to you! Do not hide your face from me in the day of my distress!" For the next eleven verses, the Psalmist goes on to describe all his woes, focusing mostly on how he's wasting away. He uses a strong word picture in verse nine, and I couldn't help but think how deeply distressed he is: "I eat ashes like bread and mingle tears in my drink."

But verse 12 changes tone abrubtly. The Psalmist suddenly writes, "But you, O LORD, are enthroned forever." He got a new perspective. He was deeply focused on all his woes, but then he remembered his God! He continues his praises of God through verse 17, where his change of attitude is revealed: "He regards the prayer of the destitute and does not despise their prayer." Not only has he realized that God is so much bigger than Him, he sees that God hears his pathetic cries for help. Through the rest of the Psalm his awe and dedication to God is revealed. Verses 19-20 say, "From heaven the LORD looked at earth, to hear the groans of the prisoners, to set free those who were doomed to die."

In verses 23-24 it seems he has a brief spell of remembering his woes, but in verse 25 he jumps right back to praising God, who remains forever!

This reminded me that in the midst of what seems like a crazy life, a life where I never stop running, always have something to stress about, God is still God. I needed a new perspective, the one the Psalmist gained. I need to stop focusing on me and start focusing on God, the eternal and perfectly holy plan He has for His creation. Praise God that He is above all, even the smallest detail, and the stressful things in my life are there to accomplish God's holy will!

No comments:

Post a Comment